Monday, August 20, 2007

366 Days Until I'm 40








Today I turn 39. Half of the time that makes sense, the other half makes me feel that there must be a mistake! I mean, when I go to see bands I usually feel like the oldest person in the room. At least half of my peers have no idea what I'm talking about when I talk music, movies, actors, web sites, etc. But then I talk with the majority of my co-workers, most of whom are under 30, and it comes into focus. Clinton era and prior political commentary, SST, 4AD and Twin Tone Records band are obscurred, and references from Caddyshack, Bachelor Party, Fletch and a hundred other places are met with blank stares. It all makes sense, of course. I laugh when I think of the marriage pact I made with a friend in high school - you know, the one where if you both reach a certain age and aren't married you'll go ahead and seal the deal. That was if we reached 30. Had I not met Michele I'm fairly convinced I'd still be single and trying to convince myself I'm not 39.

But as I type, the Cubs are in 1st place, it's raining for the first time in weeks (music be because I watered the lawn for the first time all summer) and I'm still in the "shiny-new-toy" phase of admiring my new tattoo - pics included here. It was done 2 weeks ago by Jason Longtin at Deluxe Tattoo in Chicago. He did a fantastic job and I couldn'tbe happier. It's a design drawn by Captain Bret at Captain Bret's in Newport, RI. The snake in Celtic art represents rebirth, and the peacock represents purity. I got these to represent my feelings about and hopes for Sydney and Max. Each of them has made me feel like I have been given new life in some way. And I wish for them purity - in their thoughts, their actions, their words, their intentions and the way they live their lives.

So that's where I am as the clock prepares to turn and start my birthday. All the best and peace to you.
dp

2 comments:

marko said...

dude, that's fantastic!

Len said...

Awesome tat and great imagery. My pastor is a HUGE Cubs fan and we talk baseball almost every day. I hope they stay in first.